HELP! Dahlia Doctor!!
The slugs! They just keep coming and coming!! What do I do?! What can I do!
Slug War Soldier
Dear Slug War Soldier,
Those pests seem to keep coming back no matter what we do.
Here are some solutions that you can try:
- Egg shells – break up some egg shells and spread them around your plants. Slugs don’t like sliding across them.
- Chalk – grind it up and spread it around in a thick border. Not only will this give plants a calcium boost, but those slimy slugs won’t want to cross that line!
- Beer – the standard beer trap works wonders. Get an empty can of tuna fish or cat food and fill it with beer; set it out in the evening. Let those stinkers know that the party is at your house this summer and then pick them out and toss them out in the morning. You can also share some beer with the flowers, I’m sure they’ll thank you, too!
- Cups, Pringles cans, juice/milk jugs – cut the bottoms off to create 2-4″ tall cylinders and place them around your growing dahlias. The slugs will have a difficult time getting over that wall. Just be careful not to cut yourself when making these.
- Have any leftover charcoal from that barbeque that you didn’t invite us to? Just sprinkle some of the charcoal dust from your briquettes around the area that you want to protect from those evil slugs and they will stay the heck away. You can toss a few briquettes into a bag and stomp on them or hammer away – whatever you need to do to get your frustration at the slugs out.
- If those containers you made aren’t enough – meaning you have some sneaky slugs in your ‘hood – then wrap a piece of duct tape (sticky side out) around that container you have at the base of your plant. That will definitely keep those slugs out.
- Finished with that newspaper yet? Ready to give up on that crossword? – If you roll up entire sections of newspaper (Our team didn’t win? Great! I mean, Better luck next time, Mariners. Use the Sports section! – it has to be thick) Stick a rubber band around the middle so it will keep its rolled-up shape – then dampen the entire roll and place near your dahlias in the evening. When morning comes, and you head out in your robe (no need for the neighbors to need to see your PJs with puppies and kittens on them, is there?) to get the morning paper so you can try at the next crossword, walk over to where you left the damp roll and pick up the entire thing and toss it into the garbage. Just be careful not to let any slugs and earwigs fall out. Yes, earwigs like damp newspaper, too – though they like crumpled up balls better.
Hope this gives you some ammo to use against those squishy, slimy, just-plain-icky foes!
- The Dahlia Doctor